Friday, September 27, 2013

So, You Want to be a Travel Writer? Start a Travel Blog....

My Dad's neighbor recently ran into me at the grocery store.  He will be taking a motorcycle trip to Alaska and back next year and threw out the idea that perhaps I might do a blog for him.
 
Since I have been writing for some time now and love to write about my travels, this appeals to me.
 
I never knew that you can get freebies just by telling people that you write.  Free boat rides, journalism trips...I'm even looking into taking a boat south to New Orleans and starting my own travel blog.
 
From what I am learning from my research is that you no longer need to have an extensive portfolio built up.  Sure, having your name published with articles and glossy prints help, but they are no longer necessary.  Blogs can turn into book deals!
 
You can start a blog for free.  Google free blog sites and a couple will come up for you. I chose the www.blogger.com site. 
 
If you travel this fall either locally or out of town, start writing about your experiences and taking photographs.  Having a good digital camera is very helpful as it cuts out the need to develop pictures or scan them once they are developed.

Well, I might as well get started on this project myself.  I am going to Pittsburgh to view the 40 foot Rubber Duck Project.  The duck is coming in from the Ohio River and will pass the Point and dock at the 6th Street Bridge.  I plan to get a good photo shoot out of this. 

How often do you have something like this happen in Pittsburgh.  It will change our landscape for a few weeks.  This should be a good money maker for "Just Ducky Tours".  I can envision the boats out on the river going, "Quack Quack" to the big duck while it makes its grand entrance. I better get Quacking.....




 
I put some links for those of you interested in researching travel writing:
 


 
 
How to travel for free:
 
 
How to get travel jobs: 
 
And, a very helpful on how to start your own travel blog:
 

How to Start a Travel Blog: 4 Easy Tips | Frommers.com

www.frommers.com › Trip IdeasFamily
Oct 11, 2011 - Keeping a travel journal will never go out of style, but starting a travel blog is an easy way to document your trip and share highlights with ...
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment